Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.

2016/06/21

Personal Programming Plans: Instagram2Background

I have this code which uses WebService::Instagram to grab my most recent picture from Instagram and set it as background image on my Ubuntu machines. I put it in my crontab and it just works.

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use feature qw'say' ;
use strict ;
use warnings ;

use Cwd 'abs_path' ;
use Data::Dumper ;
use IO::Interactive qw{ interactive } ;
use Try::Tiny ;
use YAML::XS qw{ LoadFile DumpFile } ;

use lib '/home/jacoby/lib' ;
use Instagram ;

my $config_file = join '/', $ENV{HOME}, '.i2b.yml' ;
my $config = LoadFile($config_file) ;

my $token    = $config->{user}{access_token} ;
my $id       = $config->{user}{id} ;
my $template = 'https://api.instagram.com/v1/users/XX/media/recent' ;
my $ig       = connect($config) ;

$ig->set_access_token($token) ;
my $url = $template ;
$url =~ s/XX/$id/ ;
my $feed        = $ig->request($url) ;
my $data        = $feed->{data} ;
my @data        = grep { $_->{type} eq 'image' } @$data ;
my $most_recent = $data[0] ;
my $file        = '/home/jacoby/.i2b/i2b.jpg' ;

my $image_id    = $most_recent->{id} ;
my $image_url   = $most_recent->{images}->{standard_resolution}->{url} ;
my $image_text  = $most_recent->{caption}->{text} ;

if ( $config->{done} ne $image_id ) {
    my $image = imagegrab($image_url) ;
    imagewrite( $file, $image ) ;
    say {interactive} $image_id ;
    say {interactive} $image_text ;
    $config->{done} = $image_id ;
    }
imageset($file) ;

DumpFile( $config_file, $config ) ;

exit ;

# takes a URL, returns the raw content
sub imagegrab {
    my $url      = shift ;
    my $agent    = new LWP::UserAgent ;
    my $request  = new HTTP::Request( 'GET', $url ) ;
    my $response = $agent->request($request) ;
    if ( $response->is_success ) {
        return $response->content ;
        }
    return undef ;
    }

# takes an filename and an image, and writes image to filename
sub imagewrite {
    my $file  = shift ;
    my $image = shift ;
    if ( open my $fh, '>', $file ) {
        print $fh $image ;
        close $fh ;
        return 1 ;
        }
    return 0 ;
    }

# takes a filename, sets it as backgroundimages
sub imageset {
    my $img = shift ;

    return unless $img ;
    my $command = join ' ', qw{
        gsettings set
        org.gnome.desktop.background
        picture-uri
        } ;
    my $command2 = join ' ', qw{
        gsettings set
        org.gnome.desktop.background
        picture-options
        } ;

    my $bg = '"file://' . abs_path $img . '"' ;
    qx{$command $bg} ;
    qx{$command2 'zoom'} ;
    }


With IFTTT, it's even easier on Android.

But I don't spend all my time with just Android and Ubuntu. I spend a fair amount of time in Windows. I have a start with that: I can use C# to set an image to the background. This is the first step. I know, at least a little, about scheduling tasks in Windows, which is the last step.

So, the coming steps:

  • Using C# to get the Instagram JSON
  • Using C# to parse the Instagram JSON and pull URL of newest image
  • Using C# to download said image. Certainly related to getting the JSON.
  • Using C# to write image file to Windows equivalent to /tmp (because this will be released to others).
  • Knowing what Windows for /tmp is.
  • Knowing where to hold my Instagram OAuth token data.
Seems like a small number of things to get done, once I sit down to do them. I just need to sit down, do them, and build the tool again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this plan. I think we would need an editor for our coding stuff right? So download vscode

    ReplyDelete